20 mins prep, 3 days marinating
This is a great and healthy alternative to smoked salmon.
- For the salmon, remove all bones with a pair of tweezers, but leave the skin on.
- Chop the dill finely.
- Mix with the salt, the sugar and pepper.
- Cover the flesh side of the fillets with the mixture, and place the fillets flesh-to-flesh in a tray made of glass or stainless steel.
- Cover with plastic foil and put a heavy weight on top (e. g. the mortar or a brick).
- Keep refrigerated for 72 hours, turning the fillets every 12 hours.
- Do not discard the liquid that forms during the 72hrs.
- After 72hrs disgard the liquid. Some people also scape off the spices.
- To serve slice thinly.
- The salmon will keep refrigerated for about a week.
Variation: Asian-style Gravlax. Leave out the dill and pepper and add 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes, 1/2 cup fresh ginger peeled and slicedand use brown sugar. Spread on both sides of salmon. Remove ginger before serving and you can serve with wasabi sauce.